Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Cream Puffs

I made these Sunday as a sugar free dessert. I made sugar free pudding to put in them, we could choose from butterscotch or chocolate. They were delicious! Yes, they are from a cookbook, but sometimes we don't notice what our cookbooks contain. Hope you all enjoy!

Cream Puffs
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup butter (I used margarine, and some recipes call for shortening instead)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs

1. In a medium saucepan combine water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for ten minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition.

2. Drop 12 heaping tablespoons (large tablespoons, not teaspoons, and definitely heaping)onto greased baking sheet. (I used parchment paper instead of greasing my baking sheet.) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden. Transfer cream puffs to a wire rack; cool.

3. Cut tops from puffs; remove soft dough from inside. Fill with pudding (and/or whipped cream, if you are not going for sugar free). If desired, sift powdered sugar over tops.

ENJOY!

No comments: